Re: [linux-audio-user] Installing realtime kernel - gentoo ERRORs loading realtime module

From: Brad Fuller <brad@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 25 2007 - 23:33:32 EEST

Marc-Olivier Barre wrote:

>> well... I just went ahead and added the line:
>> session required pam_limits.so
>>
>> in /etc/pam.d/xdm, login and gdm
>>

> Good. Did you check what the /var/log/auth.log file says after you've
> logged in ? there could be some hints there.

Hmm... no /var/log/auth.log file. This security stuff is new to me. Can
you tell me where I can force
pam (I assume that's who's writing the log) to write this log? I'll google.

>> Which didn't seem to make a difference to my other problem.
>> Note that booting produces no errors. My audio device driver loads fine
>> and initializes. Everything seems fine, except
>>
>> 1. Audio plays back very slowly. Video files play at various speeds
>> (fast then slow then fast, etc.)
>>

> That video thing is weird, though I'm not sure it's realtime related

I don't either, I think it is clock related. The video is following the
audio and the video player can't set the audio device clock. Thus, I
think it's related to setting the audio device's clock.

>> 2. Running qjackctl I receive the warning that real-time scheduling is
>> not permed and then I continuously receive delay errors:
>
> Try running ulimit -l in a terminal to see if you get the same value
> you've set in the /etc/security/limits.conf ( "-l" gives the memlock
> parameter). If not, then the limits.conf file is not being taken into
> account at login time.

Yep, it's the same. That's good.

>> Any help on: pointers on getting real-time to work AND for
>> applications to set the clock
>> of the audio device is much appreciated!
>
> Before starting jack, you need to set the sample rate to what you
> want.
Right, that's why it worked when I set it to 44.1k (which was my default)

> if you can do it with alsamixer, it means that it can be saved
> and reloaded at boot time using alsactl.

Yeah... I've done that. But, still I would like to be able to have
external apps set the clock, right?

> I supposed there is an init
> script in gentoo that does it automatically at boot time (have a look
> in /etc/init.d or /etc/rc.d/init.d, there should be a script called
> "alsa" something)

yeah, it's /etc/init.d/alsasound in gentoo.

I appreciate your input, thanks!

brad