[linux-audio-user] Newb MIDI questions here...

From: clinart <clinart@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 26 2007 - 19:42:09 EEST

Hello. I'm excited about my new audio setup. Got everything working nicely.
Have no experience or knowledge of audio engineering so please bear with me
if I ask dumb questions.

1) Why use MIDI? I have heard stuff that I recorded professionally
sequenced with MIDI and must say that I can hear a difference. Is this
because it's all perfectly synced up? What are other advantages, if any, of
MIDI over audio?

I'd like to play with Rosegarden but don't have any MIDI files except the
ones I made with Hydrogen. If I wanted to sync up a guitar track perfectly
with the MIDI beat, I guess the best way would be to have the guitar track
as MIDI too, but I don't have a MIDI hardware device. Next question...

2) Is there Linux software that can convert an audio signal/file to MIDI?

Thanks in advance for answering these basic questions.