Re: [linux-audio-user] Newb MIDI questions here...

From: Vincent Jaubert <vjaubert@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 26 2007 - 22:11:07 EEST

On 3/26/07, clinart <clinart@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> 1) Why use MIDI? I have heard stuff that I recorded professionally
> sequenced with MIDI and must say that I can hear a difference. Is this
> because it's all perfectly synced up? What are other advantages, if any, of
> MIDI over audio?

Midi and audio are not the same thing. With midi, you record the
"score" of the music (notes used, velocity, and timing). You can
playback a midi file of "fûr elise", and link it with a digital piano,
or a sampler that will play a trumpet. MIDI doesn't record any sound,
just the score.

> I'd like to play with Rosegarden but don't have any MIDI files except the
> ones I made with Hydrogen. If I wanted to sync up a guitar track perfectly
> with the MIDI beat, I guess the best way would be to have the guitar track
> as MIDI too, but I don't have a MIDI hardware device. Next question...

If you want a real guitar sound, and not a synthesized or sampled one,
there is no use for midi.
To synchronize a midi track with an audio track, the only way, is to
edit the guitar track in the audio domain.

> 2) Is there Linux software that can convert an audio signal/file to MIDI?

There are such software (i don't know for linux), but they do a very
poor job at it. And what would be the purpose ?