Re: [linux-audio-user] Peak Level Monitor/Limiting

From: Dragan Noveski <perodog@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 30 2007 - 00:38:30 EEST

Arnold Krille wrote:
> 2007/3/29, Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>:
>> As many of you will know I principally use ZynAddSubFX to generate most
>> of my sounds, so I can't really be sure if this is a Zyn problem or a
>> general one with software synths and mixing.
>> Very occasionally I get high amplitude spikes typically 6dB above the
>> 'normal' peaks. These give a false idea of the signal level so that if
>> I'm not watchful I end up recording at a much lower level that I need
>> to.
>
> Whats the problem with recording at lower volume? As long as there is
> no da/ad involved you won't have any quality-loss.
>
> But I prefer to work with hot-signals too. ;-)
>
> Arnold

i think, recording at low level, you are kind of "loosing disc space".
lets say, if you are recording at 24bit, on low level the signal
information will take only 12 bit (example) and the rest of 12 bit will
be only empty data information.
don't think that one can repair that with some gain plugin or
normalization...

anyway, for metering, i just found a very nice appi called
Network-Editor, which is a part of the CLAM suite. NE can even do much
more stuff about signal processing, but there is a very nice meter
implemented too.

cheers,
doc