Re: [linux-audio-user] Create high-pitch noises like the mosquito device

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 31 2007 - 03:27:48 EEST

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 03:40:55PM -0800, Tim Howard wrote:

> On 3/30/07, listreader <listreader@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> >I saw the mosquito device that will annoy younger
> >people, but not older people:
> > http://www.compoundsecurity.co.uk/teenage_control_products.html
> >
> >Its pretty expensive. How would I begin to create that
> >from scratch? Can a sound-card generate those frequencies?

As pointed out by Tim below, it shouldn't be expensive.

This thing seems to be targeted to people with enough
money and holding strange opinions. To quote the web page:

  "Anti social behavior has become the biggest threat to
   private property over the last decade and there has
   been no effective deterrent until now."

As if you could solve this by a 'deterrent'. If I were
an "anti-social teenager" I'd keep my iPod earphones in
place and be immune to this gadget. The even more anti-
social would probably use a paint spray to disable the
thing in seconds. I wouldn't blame them for doing so.

> It would likely be easiest to just make an electronic device like the
> one in the article... Use a 555 timer (or other simple oscillator)
> hooked up to a small audio amp, then to a tweeter.

That's indeed all it should take. Total component cost
around $15 or even less.

--
FA
Follie! Follie! Delirio vano è questo !