[LAU] Re: [linux-audio-user] ?La revoluci?n inform?tica realmente revolucionar? la m?sica? Linux Audio Conference 2007

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 04 2007 - 09:19:12 EEST

Ken Restivo wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 02:56:44PM -1000, david wrote:
>> Go listen to something you've never listened before. Listen to something
>> you've listened to in the past but really really hated - and listen for
>> what make you hate it AND for what you like in it.
>
> Thanks. Novelty used to be a very reliable way to spark my brain into action and get the ideas going, at least when I was younger. It was disappointing to find that it doesn't seem to work so well anymore.

The more experienced your ear and brain is, the harder it can be to find
novelty.

>> Go to the country side and listen to spring.
>
> That's what I've been listening to instead of music over the past year or so. I woke up one day recently and discovered that I'd much rather listen to the birds singing, surf crashing against the seawall a half-mile away, kids yelling in the park across the street, dogs barking in people's yards, etc., as opposed to most music.
>
> Anyway, I may have found a solution: going "home" musically and listening to old 1970's funk and soul and jazz-fusion, as well as 1960's bebop. That stuff still works for me.
>
> So in this case the problem was probably just my getting old and cranky. "They just don't make 'em like they used to". For the most part, they don't:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvAoOwesu4k
>
> Hmm, then again, maybe they do. This random young guy is pretty impressive:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZEtZJYwcP0
>
> Someone should introduce him to the also-impressive Hitmuri, avec logicel libre:
> http://www.hitmuri.com/Videos/Presentation_Hitmuri.avi

YouTube and other sites where music is freely distributed can turn up
many interesting things. And little-known bands can be fun, too. I have
a CD by a Christian punk band called Crashdog. Their music is mostly a
standard punk sound, with a good cover of the old Barry McGuire song
from the 60's, Eve of Destruction. But the most interesting track
sonically is called "Sept. 1994" and features cello, punk guitar, and
bagpipe.

I also like what Rasputina does with just two cellos, a drumset, and one
main female voice. They have a lot of their own songs, but also manage
to cover songs from Heart and Led Zeppelin. (If Jimmy Page can use a
violin bow to play a guitar, a cellist can certainly use a cello to play
guitar music!)

Another one I've always liked was 1971's "Maggot Brain" by Funkadelic.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden