Re: [LAU] PATA or SATA? Yonah or Merom?

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 04 2007 - 09:56:20 EEST

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 08:55:51PM -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:

> I'm a hardware idiot. I have the worst luck buying hardware: I always buy the wrong thing and end up getting screwed. Plus I don't have a lot of money, so when I get screwed, it's devastating.
>
> So that's why I avoid buying hardware. But still, I need a laptop, and so here I am shopping and probably about to make some stupid and unrecoverable mistake that will cost me everything.

Perhaps there are guys here who can recommend a specific
model for doing sound. If I didn't want to make a mistake I
would try to get a firm recommendation and if that were
lacking, the output of

cat /proc/interrupts; lspci; dmesg; etc.

from a linux live CD. At least you could know the hardware
you have and the interrupts configuration.

A good utility would be a test script to measure data
throughput and latency. There must be such tools
around.

Regards,

--
Joel Roth