Re: [LAU] PATA or SATA? Yonah or Merom?

From: Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 04 2007 - 23:27:49 EEST

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 09:59:15AM -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:
>>> Perhaps there are guys here who can recommend a specific model for
>>> doing sound. If I didn't want to make a mistake I would try to get a
>>> firm recommendation and if that were lacking, the output of
>>> cat /proc/interrupts; lspci; dmesg; etc.
>>> from a linux live CD. At least you could know the hardware you have
>>> and the interrupts configuration.
>>> A good utility would be a test script to measure data throughput and
>>> latency. There must be such tools around.
>> Thanks. OK, I'm buying the PATA unit. Thanks to everyone who helped
>> me with the SATA/PATA background, and who recommended ASUS laptops in
>> a previous thread. It's been very helpful.
>> Reading my last post seems like I was getting a lot more emotionally
>> overwrought about something as dry as a hardware purchase. But I'm
>> feeling a lot more confident now... hopefully this will turn out well.
>> Thanks again.
>
> I'm hoping it wasn't just me who recommended asus ... I'm feeling less
> certain about that at the moment. I bought a "whitebook" last year.
> There are a number of things that make me think I'll just suffer the MS
> tax next time around:

After careful consideration ;), I went for a Dell Latitude D820. I took
a look at Sampo's D820 on LAC, and it's configuration was good (irq's
well distributed). But I guess Dell's support is the thing that really
convinced me.

Specs:

CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 2,0 Ghz
MEMORY: 2,0 GB, 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
GRAPHICS: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M 256 MB
                15,4-inch WUXGA LCD (1.920x1.200)
HARDDISK: 80GB, 7.200 rpm
OPTICAL: DVD RW
WIRELESS: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g
                Bluetooth
BATTERY: 9-cell li-ion battery

4 year CompleteCare MultiCover (accident, theft, ...)
4 year International next business day service

The price for this system (without VAT) is €1538, which is actually very
good. For reference, The MacBook Pro with similar specs (though 2.16GHz)
costs €1817 (1 year support) and €2188 (3 year support). A similar Asus
costs €1700 (2GHz / 160GB@email-addr-hidden / ATI X1700, 512Mb).

For me the 4 year guarantee and completecare really makes the
difference. I guess that if it breaks down after 4 years I'll get a new
one :).

Greets,

Pieter