Re: [LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty -- music is justone path

From: sevol <sevol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 02:31:03 EEST

Marcos Guglielmetti wrote:

> | > It seems likely that you don't like these sounds because of their
> | > psychoacoustic association.
>
> Yes: that's right
>
> | > To put it bluntly if every morning you were
> | > being prematurely woken up by a beautiful bird song of a bird who lives
> | > on a tree next to your window, I am pretty sure that you would
> | > eventually learn to dislike that sound as much as you currently dislike
> | > the sound of your alarm clock. All sounds we are aware of are simply a
> | > combination of sine tones perceptible by our ears. Therefore, the only
> | > difference between a sound of an ocean and a steam engine is ultimately
> | > their "recipe." If you consider all sounds on this, much more equal
> | > plane, then it becomes rather apparent that all sounds have beauty that
> | > simply needs to be uncovered regardless of their source. This art is
> | > also known as acousmatic music (or a sound removed from its source).
> |
> | I don't buy that.

Then you probably don't like Symphony for Dot Matrix Printers #2 by [The
User]: http://www.theuser.org/dotmatrix/downloads/en/frame_index.html

(from their site: [The User] takes its name from a term employed by our
technocratic society, especially in design-related fields such as
engineering, architecture and software development. The term 'user'
objectifies and reduces individuality to an abstract and generic ideal.
This reduction is employed wherever abstract rational methodology is
applied to situations involving real people. Once this reduction is
made, it becomes much easier to treat the faceless, formless 'user' in
an inhuman fashion. In our society we employ the impersonal term 'user'
to justify the infliction of neon lighting, plastic cutlery and Muzak on
a huge majority of our population.) If this is old stuff to people on
the list, sorry.

I enjoy the *music* & the *idea* behind it. Neither prevent me from
enjoying a frog's croak or birdsong, ambient city sounds, or for that
matter, a snippet of pron audio of a female's orgasm :) On the path,
what does capitalism choking itself sound like anyway?

> jajaja
>
> | Factories and machinery have vibrations created and
> | enforced by hundreds of forces working at different rates and in
> | different directions, caused by objects that were assembled with very
> | little regard for the sound they made.
>
> And human exploitation... so, if it is unethical to explode the human, I dont
> like the sound of the exploitation,

Regardless of the ethics involved, I dislike the sound of exploding
humans in meat space. (Forgive me for making fun of ESL slips, but these
days exploding humans are the norm.)

so I dont like the sounds of the