Re: [LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty -- music is justone path

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 15:34:14 EEST

> Then you probably don't like Symphony for Dot Matrix Printers #2 by [The
> User]: http://www.theuser.org/dotmatrix/downloads/en/frame_index.html

thanks for the link. - I like it! more the idea/installation than the
composition. - but that's just taste: my generation was exposed a lot to
this crazy dotmatix-rhythms and some used to impatiently jam the
form-feed-blues while waiting for the printouts...

I don't agree with the subject line that music is a path to beauty. -
Any time-based art is usually part of some larger context. recorded
music allows to undermine this concept though..
It'd be cool to hear a live symphony of many arranged dot-matrix
printers! - not the way data centers sounded 20 years ago, but this dot
matrix sound is IMHO pretty unique! ("dude, I have an old Epson LX with
the original set of needles... if you use this thick resonating 90's
typewriter paper it sounds just marvellous." lol. only half kiddingly:
this instrument has qualities that I never expected. )

cheers,
robin