Re: [LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty -- music is justone path

From: sevol <sevol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 06 2007 - 09:41:41 EEST

Robin Gareus wrote:

>> Then you probably don't like Symphony for Dot Matrix Printers #2 by [The
>> User]: http://www.theuser.org/dotmatrix/downloads/en/frame_index.html
>>
> thanks for the link. - I like it! more the idea/installation than the
> composition. - but that's just taste: my generation was exposed a lot to
> this crazy dotmatix-rhythms and some used to impatiently jam the
> form-feed-blues while waiting for the printouts...

Glad you like it. If you haven't listened to the whole symphony (using
headphones is great), please do. For my ears/mind, the emotional range
conveyed by the audio drawn from 12 obsolete printers is extraordinary &
nicely matched by the piece's concept & installation. [End User] has
been around for about ten years. Interesting music. One of their early
pieces was, IIR, named Paper Jam :)

> I don't agree with the subject line that music is a path to beauty. -

I agree with you there. But then perhaps the subject line is really no
longer concerned with music, but beauty? & that will need to be parsed &
defined to everyones agreement first (good luck :), prior to defining
music's relationship it.

> Any time-based art is usually part of some larger context. recorded
> music allows to undermine this concept though..
> It'd be cool to hear a live symphony of many arranged dot-matrix
> printers!

[End User] has done concerts, using 12 dot matrix printers for Symphony
#2. I haven't seen a live show, but definitely be a groove I'd imagine.
This link has a little more info & link to part of Symphony #1 video, if
interested: http://www.fondation-langlois.org/html/e/page.php?NumPage=172

- not the way data centers sounded 20 years ago, but this dot
> matrix sound is IMHO pretty unique! ("dude, I have an old Epson LX with
> the original set of needles... if you use this thick resonating 90's
> typewriter paper it sounds just marvellous." lol. only half kiddingly:
> this instrument has qualities that I never expected. )

Yeah, I love the sound of this piece & still listen to it. They use a
specific bunch of old Epsons, Panasonics, Fujitsus, etc. models- &
already it's becoming harder to find the original "instruments." The
time is nearly at hand to scour the landscape for long-lost stacks of
100lb 90's better-resonating typewriter paper :))

Not to console those among us who have a tiny & dead idea of what music
is, but it hurts my spirit to always & only hear "machine" music. The
human voice, traditional musical instruments & compositions, etc are
magik too. Personally, I need it all.

Even farther OT (though, I'm not alone :):

ATM, I''m listening to Eo Sinh & Namh Hao's VC Love Song off of *Ho! #1
Roady Music from Vietnam*. It's a great piece & has an accompaniment of
random passing motorcycles among other background street sounds :) I
don't know what to say - I don't even know what she's singing, but I
love this forlorn song, too. The motorcycle engines really set the right
mood here. It just works! The whole album is streetworthy Americanized
VietPop compliments the Vietnam War. (For the one in this thread who
mentioned jackhammers: this compilation doesn't offer any, but there is
someone doing a bang up job of hammering concrete on one song :)

best, sevol

The kind of silence that follows the playing of the radio is never the
same as the silence that precedes it. -Don Delillo