Re: [LAU] Foul Language

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 08 2007 - 17:42:55 EEST

On Sunday 08 April 2007 03:51, David Baron wrote:
> Enjoy Zappa. This does not mean using cheap or foul language
> in a public forum about Linux and music which has members of
> all ideas and backgrounds, does it?

Don't try to equate "cheap" language, as you call it, with foul
language. It's bad enough that I have to double check what I
write on lists like these to make sure I haven't dropped the
F-bomb without thinking about it. I'd have to censor the names
of some of my own songs just to mention them here, if I had been
all-Linux when I did them. So if I want to say something sucks,
especially if I have constructive suggestions for dealing with
its suckiness, I damn well will. Everyone else should feel free
to do the same.

I personally value the presence of people who may use "cheap"
language more than the presence of those who object to it, so
maybe you and the rest of the hand-wringers should update your
NetNanny block list or something. The reality is, while there
may be a preponderance of CS types and academics here, there are
also a lot of musicians, and we musicians tend to be both
eccentric and "cheap".

So now we have a meta thread about an off-topic thread. Lovely.
Can we get another meta thread going on top of this one?

Rob