Re: [LAU] Re: Pops and clicks but no xruns

From: Karl Hammar <karl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 09 2007 - 00:39:54 EEST

James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>:
> On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 01:38:34PM +0200, Karl Hammar wrote:
> > Andrew Burgess <aab@email-addr-hidden>:
> > > setpci -s $p latency_timer=ff
> I am slightly confused. Is it necessary to increase the latency
> timer for a pci sound card? This seems slightly
> counter-intuitive. Wouldn't this reduce the performance of the
> sound system through that card?

Performance and latency is different things. In audio we accept all
latencies below 30ms (I think), less than that does not gain anything.

But we can gain bandwith by using longer bursts, thus a higher latency
(within bounds) gives us greater performance.

> The only thing the above script changes on my system is the
> latency of the SB Live.

Yes, I missed the general setting seen below.

Paul Davis in the message that started this thread:
>#!/bin/sh
>
>case $1 in
> start)
> # "open up" the PCI bus by allowing fairly long bursts for
>all devices, increasing performance
> setpci -v -s "*:*.*" latency_timer=b0
> # maximise latency for RME Hammerfall, thus allowing
> # more data per PCI transfer and minimizing xfuns
> setpci -v -s 01:04.0 latency_timer=ff
> # ditto for the onboard AC97 audio interface
> setpci -v -s 00:07.5 latency_timer=ff
>esac

Regards,
/Karl