Re: [LAU] Thinkpad R60 for Audio Update - Firewire Conflicts with Audio

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 10 2007 - 20:04:36 EEST

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 02:20:32PM +0200, Pieter Palmers wrote:
>
>> Robin Gareus wrote:
>

>>> 24404.495 frames ?? Inv
>>> 24404.345 frames ??
>>> 24404.241 frames ?? Inv
>>> 24404.181 frames ??
>
> The ?? mean that jdelay doesn't trust the signal. This is confirmed
> by the frequent polarity inversions - jdelay tries to find out
> which of the two polarities is correct and can't decide.
>
> The reason could be either insufficient level (unlikely, as jdelay
> can work with very noisy signals), or a frequency-dependent delay.
> Jdelay uses phase measurements of a number of tones. The ?? mean
> that the results are in contradiction. Try to verify the signal
> path.

I'll try again with a proper setup! I've used a [left]-sennheiser
headphone-speaker, and thinkpad's build-in mic ; and a Neumann Tube with
the UA25.

I've played with the input and output levels watching with bitscope, but
could not get the '??' go away for either mic (also the built-in speaker
did not do the trick). - but the measured/displayed values are
consistent, even though the scale/interpretation is wrong. - anyway I
did not try harder than 10 mins and did not yet read jdelays manual..

anyway, I remember playing with a non '??' jdelay - around last summer.
can that be? maybe it was aliki. how old is jdelay ? ;)

more later,
robin

PS. jdelay beats `xmms tone://12000` in the neighbor-annoyance poll: 2
vs. 1 (out of 5 here in the office)!