[LAU] Perspective with speakers? (was best mic(s) for environmenal recording?)

From: Bearcat M. Sandor <HomeTheater@email-addr-hidden-soul.com>
Date: Wed Apr 11 2007 - 18:32:29 EEST

> Doc wrote:
> being able to listen to that (hearing the changes in perspective) is
> only possible using a headphone.
>
> cheers,
> doc

I forked the topic as to not de-rail the original one.

That's contrary to my experiance. Of course, you may be talking about
something else.

With a good audio system you can hear changes in perspective. I am in the
process of purchasing a audio system that consists of the following: a set
of Gallo Accoustic reference 3.1 speakers and Bel Canto Ref 1000 monoblock
amps. My front-end will be my computer with an rme HDSP AES-32 going out
to an RME ADI-8QS.

I have spent months auditioning these speakers and amps at my stereo
store. They are revealing enough that you can hear the sound of the venue
that a recording was made in. You can hear the sound of the walls change
when the recording moves to another place.

As far as perspective goes, i have been able to hear performers moving
around on stage and been able to hear their placement. Thus, when the
mics are moved around, you can hear the stage move forward and backward
and side to side. Since i am listening to stereo this is in a plane in
front of me, but that is still a change in perspective, i'd argue.

The poster of the original question regarding recording the outside
environment was talking about turning this into a 24/192 surround sound
mix. That will give you perspective in all directions. I hope this person
has a big hard drive!

Thanks,

Bearcat M. Sandor
Audiophile and wannabe engineer