Re: [LAU] Online resources/books for programming sound synthesis software?

From: Damon Chaplin <damon@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 12 2007 - 16:06:33 EEST

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 12:59 +0200, Thomas Janu wrote:
> > The Jack examples are a great place to start looking at code. Also, I
> > wrote a howto for people writing Jack apps for the first time:
> >
> > http://www.dis-dot-dat.net/index.cgi?item=/jacktuts/starting/
> >

> That's already great, thanks a lot! ;)
>
> > I hope you get more sources in this thread, because I would like to
> > read more myself.
>
> More specifically I'm looking for commented code examples/tutorials on how to
> emulate sound synthesis, so writing oscillators, filters and so on as well as
> nice examples of the ``big picture'' so that i can see how it's all put together
> to form a synth. That'd be really nice.

I've been learning the same stuff recently as well.

I've attached my first attempt at a very basic synth using ALSA MIDI for
input and JACK for output. (Note that I'm not an audio expert so there
may be a few errors in it. If anyone spots an error please let me know.)

Wikipedia seems to have quite a few articles on synthesis:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_synthesis

I just read "The Computer Music Tutorial" by Curtis Roads, which was
recommended by a few Linux audio developers. It's a fairly good
introduction, though it seems slightly dated. I'm also reading "Elements
of Computer Music" by F.Richard Moore, but I wouldn't recommend it as a
first book as the maths is pretty difficult.

Damon