Re: [LAU] best cheap mic(s) for acoustic / vocal recording?

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 13 2007 - 14:32:43 EEST

On 4/13/07, Victor Roetman <vroetman@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > Thread hijack so i changed the name... I want to record acoustic
> > guitar and vocals. Price limit is < AUD$300 so i'm thinking of 2
> > behringer c-2's ($75!!) and stereo mic pre or a single SM Pro mic 1
> > condenser and pre. Are cheap condensers better than sm57/58 of the
> > same price? Any recommendations?
>
> I've gotten really nice acoustic guitar results from my Rode NT1 large
> diaphragm condenser, and I hear the Rode NT1-A is even better. For a
> cheap condenser, it's very nice. I think you can get it for around $200
> USD. Rode is an Australian company, so maybe they are even cheaper
> there. Maybe you can find a used NT1 somewhere, and a used SM-58 for
> vocals if you record both at the same time. Otherwise the NT1 works
> great for vocals, too.
>
> vic

Rode mic's are way more expensive than that here. about 5 times a mxl
603! One of these http://www.smproaudio.com/PR4v.htm seems like the
mic pre for the job. Though the local shop had them at way more than
RRP and wasn't keen to sell them to me. SM pro are a melbourne company
though so i might be able to pester them directly for a better price.
Anyone used there gear?

Loki