Re: [LAU] best cheap mic(s) for acoustic / vocal recording?

From: Victor Roetman <vroetman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 13 2007 - 06:39:19 EEST

> Thread hijack so i changed the name... I want to record acoustic
> guitar and vocals. Price limit is < AUD$300 so i'm thinking of 2
> behringer c-2's ($75!!) and stereo mic pre or a single SM Pro mic 1
> condenser and pre. Are cheap condensers better than sm57/58 of the
> same price? Any recommendations?

I've gotten really nice acoustic guitar results from my Rode NT1 large
diaphragm condenser, and I hear the Rode NT1-A is even better. For a
cheap condenser, it's very nice. I think you can get it for around $200
USD. Rode is an Australian company, so maybe they are even cheaper
there. Maybe you can find a used NT1 somewhere, and a used SM-58 for
vocals if you record both at the same time. Otherwise the NT1 works
great for vocals, too.

vic