Re: [LAU] my CD-R sounds weak and bland. What to do?

From: Charles Linart <clinart@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 15 2007 - 19:55:10 EEST

Thanks for the tips, Arnold. I'm struggling with mastering myself.
One overall question, then a few more specific.

Genarally: What advantages, if any, does your method have over just
taking a bunch of well mixed songs, throwing them in a single
directory, normalizing them with ecanormalize (or something like it)
and burning that directory to disc as audio? (An aside to this
question: anybody know how to get metadata into wav files?)

> I don't know if jamin can be interconnected with audacity, but with ardour I
> would propose the following:
> 1. Import all your songs into one ardour-session.

Import them all onto the same track/channels, side by side, I assume?

> 2. Connect jamin as an insert-effect on the master-track.
> 3. Work your way through mastering... (takes the longest time)

A little more detail would be helpful here for us newbs -- what are
the basic principles of good mastering? I haven't had any luck with
jamin even though it works well with *very* low latency on my system
-- can't figure out what I'm supposed to do with it.

> 4. Export the whole session from ardour. This gives you a big wave-file and if
> you choose to do so (and added the track-markers) a toc-file ready for
> burning your audio to a cd right away.

Any advantages to a .toc file as opposed to plain old wav or aiff?

> 7. Sell lots of cds and make lots of money. (Depending on if your cd contains
> the next number one hit :-)

Sounds great. Anybody have any success at doing this without selling
your soul to a record company?

> Have a nice sunday,

You too! Thanks again.