[LAU] my CD-R sounds weak and bland. What to do?

From: millward <millward@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 15 2007 - 04:35:36 EEST

I wrote and recorded a nice little 7 tracks worth of sterio audio using
Audacity set to CD quality. It all sounded great as a project file,
and the burning of the CD showed no errors, but when I play it
on the sterio it sounds so weak and bland compared to store-bought
music CDs. What can I do to get some life into it?
I know next to nothing about the production side
of audio, so any comments, web sites where I can get information,
or information of any kind would be appreciated.
   I have a major restriction with my recording. It's almost all done
directly into the computer without microphones because I have to
keep noise levels low around here. Bass sounds just fine this way,
and even the electric guitar through a Korg box, but forget about
loud guitar amps or PAs or anything like that. I do the vocals and harp
on those rare times when no ones around. But the end result, the
Audacity project file, and the .WAV file I export from it, sounds just
fine. Its the burned CD-R on the sterio that sounds bland compared
with regular music CDs. Something is missing.