[LAU] jackd & debian problems

From: Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 18 2007 - 18:33:24 EEST

hello list,

first off, I'm running debian etch, and installing everything via
packages (sans the kernel).

last night I decided I wanted to try out the sequencer dino, which
requires a later version of jack than my repos offer. I uninstalled
jack (which uninstalled other jack applications), and compiled the
newest version of jack and qjackctl. this is where the problem
started...

now when I want to add a package from the repos, it wants to install
the repos version of jack, and won't simply use the version I have
compiled. conflicts abound, and the net effect is that all jack apps
are not working at the moment.

there must be some way in debian to say, "don't worry about the jackd
dependency, I've already got that installed." or am I doomed to
compile everything from source now that I've compiled jack from
source? is it all or nothing?

thanks,

Josh

--