Re: [LAU] my CD-R sounds weak and bland. What to do?

From: Brett W. McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 19 2007 - 04:04:13 EEST

On 4/18/07, Charles Linart <clinart@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > Should be more than enough... I do this on a machine with only 512
> > megs of RAM with no problems at all. Is jackd running with realtime
> > priveleges?
> >
> > -- Brett
>
> Yes, as a matter of fact. How should it be set?

Just checking... it should be using realtime.

> As long as I'm asking dumb questions (and getting smart answers) how
> does one work in JAMin? You play the track from Ardour, it goes into
> JAMin... OK, I get the concept of bringing down the peaks to create
> headroom, then bumping the whole thing up... but then what?

Mastering is a rather arcane topic by itself. You might want to
research on the web for specific info on mastering techniques (they
will apply to any software or hardware you use). Here are some:

http://www.digido.com/ (Bob Katz site, one of the masters in the industry)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug04/articles/computermastering.htm

> And if you do it the way it was suggested further upthread, mastering
> all songs in one long track, how do you mark the songs so that when
> the audio file is played, it shows up as "Song 1 by So and So" in the
> player instead of just the name of the exported .wav file? Is that
> what the toc is for, and how would one create a toc file... and how
> would it be implemented?

Ardour can export a TOC. I usually take the exported WAV (or WAVs) and
use cdrdao + gcdmaster to visually create track markers... from there
you can burn the CD directly. Oh, yeah, use cdrdao for making CDs, it
does 'disk-at-once' burning so you can have tracks with no gap in
between.

> One song is (by design) heavily clipped for about the first five
> seconds. Won't that mess things up if all the songs are in one long
> track?

If you are using something like Jamin, you will need to create scenes
-- different settings you can call up for different parts of a track.
But you'll need to read the Jamin documentation for that.

-- Brett