Re: [LAU] SID chip emulation?

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 19 2007 - 18:55:35 EEST

James Stone wrote:
> Does anyone know of a linux based synth that emulates the sound of the C64
> SID chip? I would love to use that sound in some pieces, but I have never
> been able to find anything very usable.
>
> Perhaps something could be used from the libsid/libsidplay libraries??

the vice emulator must be doing sth. like this. http://www.viceteam.org/

the SID is pretty simple. it had 3 kinds of oscillators + noise
generator; ADSR ; a simple hi/low pass filters and a ring modulation. -
if you're just interested in the "sounds" not compositions, you should
be fine with any synth ;) eg. zynaddsubfx

some more advanced C64 tunes made use of shaping the master-volume, and
other tricks...

depending on where you want to go... use xmms' sid-plugin or vice's x64
to generate/play some sounds.. -> jack -> record. -> edit

(vice is using OSS -> you'd need the fusd kernel module to get it jacked.)

#robin