Re: [LAU] Linux stickers for laptop

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 30 2007 - 19:01:32 EEST

On Friday 27 April 2007 20:32, Ken Restivo wrote:
> I want to plant a huge Tux sticker right in the center of the
> laptop cover. It's a barebones so it has no markings of its
> own; I get to put on my own. I've seen a logo of Tux wearing
> headphones too, which I'd like to find.

Congratulations on your gig and good luck using your laptop as a
sound module. That's something I still aspire to, but at the
moment my PCR-30 is still sitting there gathering dust. (Got
some of the sliders mapped with Timidity but never with
any "analog" synth program...)

Don't listen to the naysayers.... your idea of using Tux is a
great one. It may not be the best logo for an operating system,
but after 11 years of use it's the only logo anyone who doesn't
use Linux recognizes. I have a couple different T-shirts with
Tux variations on them, one of which doesn't even say "Linux" on
it, and every once in a while someone will come up to me and
go, "So is that Linux thing any good?"

Given the history of the Linux audio logo, on the other hand, I'd
be willing to bet that in 3 or 4 years there have been at least
a couple more redesigns and it'll still be familiar only to
people already using Linux audio.

Unfortunately, the only "Tux wearing headphones" logo I've ever
seen was pretty small, like 120x160 or something. I think it
was a "DJ Tux" thing, not a "Tux as musician" thing.
Googling "DJ Tux" just comes up with a bunch of logos based on
the Crystal version of Tux, though, which isn't as recognizable.
You might want to just go for the straight-up Tux logo if you
want something that looks decent, especially if you're going to
try to stencil it onto your laptop.

Rob