[LAU] Re: Laptop for realtime audio

From: Ismael Valladolid Torres <ivalladt@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 16 2007 - 12:08:34 EEST

Lars Luthman escribe:
> OK, thanks for the advice on what not to get. I realise that I probably
> have to get an USB or Firewire box if I want decent analog ins and outs,
> but if all I need is S/PDIF out at 48kHz, surely there must be one
> laptop that would work OK with the builtin sound? Is no one running
> Linux audio software (succesfully) on a laptop without external
> soundcards?

I am using a not-state-of-the-art Samsung X05 laptop which features an
S/PDIF out. I use an optical cable to a minidisc unit with headphones
attached and I use this as "the soundcard", as it gives a far greater
quality than the headphone out in the laptop.

Jackd attaches to the S/PDIF out nicely and quality of audio apps is
very impressive given that laptops usually ship with awful
soundcards. I tend to prefer musical hardware as quality of audio outs
is usually a lot higher than using the 95% of soundcards in the
market. But this S/PDIF plus minidisc combo makes my day. Staying
digital as long as posible is worth it.

If using a laptop without S/PDIF, an M-Audio Transit seems to have all
is needed.

Cordially, Ismael

--
Ismael Valladolid Torres  m. +34679156321
La media hostia           j. ivalladt@email-addr-hidden