Re: [LAU] Awful noise out of FA-66

From: Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 19 2007 - 12:11:26 EEST

Ken Restivo wrote:

> I plugged my spiffy new linux laptop into an amp tonight and used it
> as an instrument with a band, using an M-Audio Axiom49 as a MIDI
> controller.
>
> Not everything works yet on this new machine, but what I needed most
> for tomorrow night's show (specimen, with a couple specialized
> samples), worked fine.
>
> Except for the noise. The FA-66 was producing the most awful, buzzy,
> glitchy digital background noise.
>
> I ran the following chain, and got horrible aliasing noise: Laptop ->
> ExpressCard Firewire -> FA-66 -> SWR bass/keyboard amp
>
> The FA-66 is powered by its wall-wart, since the ExpressCard doesn't
> power it (even though it is a 6-pin connector).
>
> My question is this. What's up with that awful noise?

When googling around I found at least one other person having the same
issue with the FA-66.

I've noticed similar noise at some places with my QuataFire line out's.

Some things to try:
- unplug the power supply of the laptop (for test)
- put a DI box inbetween the amp and the edirol (enable ground lift)
- use another power supply for the edirol (preferably a transformer
based one).

Pieter