[LAU] Newbie, where should I start?

From: Mrugesh Karnik <mrugeshkarnik@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 20 2007 - 10:32:48 EEST

Hi guys,

I'm trying to setup a `proof of concept' sound processing system on my
machine, using Linux. The system should cater rock/metal bands. Now I need to
know where to start and what to look at. There's so much documentation and so
many software out there that I'm getting confused and don't know where to
start. I have around a month to set up the system, so as to give a
presentation and a live demo at a local community event.

I generally prefer to know my theory properly before practically implementing,
so please tell me what background knowledge I should ideally have to
implement such a system.

Any links, hints, pointers etc. very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

P.S. I'm using Gentoo and have access to the pro-audio overlay. Also, since
this is just a proof of concept type project, I won't be spending on
hardware. I have a Sempron64 2500+ machine with 1GB of RAM and plenty of hard
disk space, although on 7200 rpm PATA. I think I can borrow a Creative SB
Live 5.1 sound card from my boss for the project.