Re: [LAU] JACK MIDI - where? how?

From: Nedko Arnaudov <nedko@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 04 2007 - 11:25:11 EEST

carmen <_@email-addr-hidden-your.name> writes:

> On Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 09:55:15PM -0700, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
>> On 3 June 2007 at 23:48, "Josh Lawrence" <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I just downloaded dino, and it became pretty clear that I don't
>> > have jack midi working. I'm running jack version 0.103.0 on
>> > debian sid. is there a way to enable jack midi functionality to
>> > my existing jack without having to pull the whole thing apart and
>> > put it back together?
>> qjackctl has a MIDI tab. Is that of any use to you?
>
> no, and neither is qjackctl. how do you get it to realize jackd is
> already running and therefore show the start button dimmed (so it
> doesnt error out trying to launch another one). wheres the input for a
> custom command string?
>
> to get jack midi going, you can add jackmidi to your USE flags on
> gentoo. im not sure how to do it on debian - i guess you just hope
> they enabled midi in their binary, or compile it yourself?
>
> to get jackd to see your alsa midi devices, you have to do some extra
> work. namely use
> http://subversion.jackaudio.org/jack/branches/midi/jack and add the -X
> flag to jackd initiation (i could only get raw working)

As alternative to svn jackd, you could use alsaseq <-> jackmidi progies
too. They are bridges between alsa midi and jack midi.

And make sure you dont use qjackctl-0.2.22 (latest ATM). It does not
list jack midi ports. You may want to consider svn patchage as GUI
patchbay. Also jack_lsp will list jack midi ports too. And jack_connect
should work on them too. IIRC both are command line progies comming with
jack itself. Patchage is at http://wiki.drobilla.net/Patchage

--
Nedko Arnaudov <GnuPG KeyID: DE1716B0>