[LAU] Skype and multiple sound cards ?

From: Florin Andrei <florin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 06 2007 - 01:03:31 EEST

I've a system with two sound cards. One of them is on the motherboard,
the OS detected it as:

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=0
remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
}; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel

The other "card" is a USB thing (actually a dedicated headphone preamp,
pretty good sound quality).

Until now, I was only using the USB preamp for everything (mostly XMMS
and Flash). To do that, I created this file in my home directory:

$ cat .asoundrc
defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.ctl.card 1

So, with that file in place, pretty much all applications just used the
secondary sound card (the USB preamp) as their output device.

Skype _only_ sees that device, it does not appear to detect the onboard
card. The problem is, the USB preamp does not have a microphone input.

I would like to use the USB preamp as the default output for everything
(including Skype), and the onboard Intel chip as the microphone input
for Skype. Any idea?
Some tweaks to .asoundrc perhaps?

--
Florin Andrei