Re: [LAU] Ext2 or Ext3 for Audio?

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 26 2007 - 04:11:25 EEST

On 6/25/07, David Haggett <david@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Just ordered a 320G sata hard disk to replace my increasingly noisy 40G IDE
> disk (which is currently formatted with ReiserFS). I think I've read (here)
> that ReiserFS isn't the best filesystem for audio work, but I would like to
> retain journaling if possible.
>
> Does ext3 play nice with an RT kernel, or is it the journaling that causes the
> problems for ReiserFS
>
> Also should I plan to convert existing partitions on another disk (my music
> library) to ext3, or is it only the partitions actively used in audio work
> that matter?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
> --
>
> David Haggett

All in all I don't think it matters much. In general I think either is
fine for audio. I typically use vfat for audio partitions so that I
can easily move the 1394 drive to a Windows box without any bother.

If I was going to make the choice you suggest I'd likely go for ext2
as requires slightly less work for the system than carrying the
overhead of doing the ext3 stuff and I figure that I would never know
when I'm going to run out of compute cycles. Also I believe that ext3
keeps the extra information in a separate location on the drive from
the data which requires extra head seeking and slows things down a bit
at times.

However you should temper all this with a somewhat greater need to do
backups using vfat or ext2 since you have less protection from little
problems.

Hope that gives you a few ideas to mull over.

Cheers,
Mark