Re: [LAU] jack problem getting out of hand

From: Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 18:29:07 EEST

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 03:18:42PM +0200, Dragan Noveski wrote:
[snip]
> switching on the acpi in general, but switching off the other acpi stuff
> like fan, button etc. resolved some issues here.
[snip]

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to recompile my kernel again.

But still I don't think this is the cause for Julien's
problem. I was having very similar symptoms after installing
the latest jack from svn last week. At the same time a new
version of gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad got into Debian
testing, with the new jackaudiosink. The gstreamer update
came a bit bad time, because now I don't know if the
frequent zombification, time-outing and watchdog barking is
due to some new jack bug or the gstreamer applications
constantly entering and leaving the processing graph,
triggering some old misfeature (it seems that the time-outs
can happen at random times, but I'm not sure, because mostly
they happen on graph changes and on my system the graph can
change unexpectedly due to a cron job).

Anyway, my solution was to add a --timeout parameter (with
value 4000), and now jackd has been running happily for a
day without the watchdog coming and killing everyone in
sight. Pulseaudio and Ingen has been mysteriously zombified
only once, as opposed to every 15 minutes, and everything
else has been working fine, although there haven't been much
stress on the system during the last day.

A related question: what does this error message exactly mean?

subgraph starting at <client> timed out
(subgraph_wait_fd=<number>, status = 0, state = Running)

Every client is only connected directly to the sound card
playback ports, so the subgraph shouldn't be particularly
long. Does the error mean that the said client didn't return
from its processing function fast enough or what? After that
message jack used to stop delivering audio and then after a
few seconds the watchdog would come and eat everyone. I
still have got that error twice (the Pulseaudio and Ingen
zombifications), but the whole jackd hasn't died anymore.

--
Tanu Kaskinen