Re: [LAU] newbie to Linux audio

From: Russ Button <russ@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 18 2007 - 06:23:34 EEST

Loki Davison wrote:

> I wouldn't focus too much on 96kHz. See all the discussions previously
> on LAD/LAU about it. If your using Behringer tube mics... well, i'd
> just skip on using them.

No. I'm not using Behringer tube mikes. What I scored is a tube based
preamp. I have limited experience with Behringer gear, but all of it
has been pretty good to date. What I've used is an active crossover, a
150 wpc power amp as a sub-woofer amp, and the active EQ gizmo. All of
it seemed to work pretty well. I hear their mixers are pretty bad, but
I have no first-hand knowledge. I figured that the preamp was probably
fine, and if it turns out to be a turkey, I only blew $70 on it.

At the moment, I don't have mikes of my own to use, but I do have a
friend with a nice collection I can borrow from.

In years past, I had a pair of Nakamichi CM-700 mikes I used to use with
cardioid capsules, in an ORTF configuration. It got me some excellent
results. I'll probably go with something like that again as a starter
and then go from there.

As for my interest in going 24 bit, 96 kHz, it's really a matter of
learning about the merits of higher sampling rates than the standard CD
grade. A couple of friends tell me that DVD-audio is distinctly
superior to standard CD grade audio and capturing it live at 24/96 is
the way for me to find out. I'll then burn it to both DVD-audio and to
16 bit, 44.1 kHz CD grade and take a listen.

Russ