Re: [LAU] newbie to Linux audio

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 18 2007 - 07:47:52 EEST

On 7/18/07, Russ Button <russ@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Loki Davison wrote:
> >
> > I wouldn't focus too much on 96kHz. See all the discussions previously
> > on LAD/LAU about it. If your using Behringer tube mics... well, i'd
> > just skip on using them.
> >

> No. I'm not using Behringer tube mikes. What I scored is a tube based
> preamp. I have limited experience with Behringer gear, but all of it
> has been pretty good to date. What I've used is an active crossover, a
> 150 wpc power amp as a sub-woofer amp, and the active EQ gizmo. All of
> it seemed to work pretty well. I hear their mixers are pretty bad, but
> I have no first-hand knowledge. I figured that the preamp was probably
> fine, and if it turns out to be a turkey, I only blew $70 on it.
>
> At the moment, I don't have mikes of my own to use, but I do have a
> friend with a nice collection I can borrow from.
>
> In years past, I had a pair of Nakamichi CM-700 mikes I used to use with
> cardioid capsules, in an ORTF configuration. It got me some excellent
> results. I'll probably go with something like that again as a starter
> and then go from there.
>
> As for my interest in going 24 bit, 96 kHz, it's really a matter of
> learning about the merits of higher sampling rates than the standard CD
> grade. A couple of friends tell me that DVD-audio is distinctly
> superior to standard CD grade audio and capturing it live at 24/96 is
> the way for me to find out. I'll then burn it to both DVD-audio and to
> 16 bit, 44.1 kHz CD grade and take a listen.
>
> Russ

How will this show anything about sample rates? if you burn a 16 bit
and 24 bit version then the BITRATE is what will mater not sample
rate. So if you want to compare either just listen to the 24 bit 44.1
wav and 24 bit 96 wav or burn those 2 as DVD-A. Of course you can pick
between 16 and 24, but maybe you will be the first person to pick
between higher sample rates.... ;)

Loki