Re: [LAU] jack problem getting out of hand

From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <eric@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 24 2007 - 18:25:09 EEST

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 01:33:49PM +0200, Dragan Noveski wrote:
> Julien Claassen wrote:
> >Hi!
> > I recompiled my mplayer against the new jack, but it still continues.
> > Mplaer gets zombified quite often. And as I said, this problem occured
> >with the previous jack as well. But it jst set in recently. Up to a week
> >ago I didn't have any trouble with it. And I can't really say what I
> >changed. The only thing is, that about two weeks ago I installed my new
> >kernel 2.6.21-mm2, before I had 2.6.16.2. But why should over a week pass
> >before this makes problems?
> > Any more ideas where I can look, what I can try?
> > Kindest regards
> > Julien
> ok, i think that i know!!
>
> i am on debian testing here - julian you too?
>
> if yes, i had (perhaps) the same problem about a week ago, because
> updating some x-related packages. at that point not only mplayer, but
> everything what does viedeo was not working any more - vlc, ome, xjadeo,
> ffplay....
>
> what i did, i extended the /etc/apt/sources.lst with a 'etch' entry
> again and reinstalled 13 x-packages from stable again.
> i still did not found out which one exactly was causing this problem,
> but i really should do!

You may have caught the middle of the ffmpeg transition. afaik, ffmpeg
never do releases so debian has to take a snapshot of their current svn,
or whatever revision control system they use. Then they have to get all
the ffmpeg using apps rebuilt against that one snapshot, which can
sometimes be tricky because ffmpeg interfaces occasionally change.

-Eric Rz.