Re: [LAU] Tests of Linux DAWs

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 25 2007 - 19:04:07 EEST

On Wednesday 25 July 2007, Hein Zelle wrote:
> > 4. Digitize all the MIDI tracks to audio tracks
> I've had some success tying rosegarden and ardour together to
> achieve that, you can even use pmidi with timidity or a different

Yeah, my workflow is the same as David's, but I've been using Timidity
on the command line to render my MIDI files for subsequent
overdubbing since 1997 (under Windows at the time), when I discovered
it produced much cleaner results than recording analog from my Gravis
sound card.

I have yet to find a GUI composition tool whose MIDI to audio
conversion process was less cumbersome than saving to a MIDI file and
typing "timidity mysong.mid", sometimes one track at a time if I'm
feeling obsessive-compulsive, but I do pretty much use the same
patchset for everything. The closest to a comfortable all-in-one
solution I ever found was Buzz, and even then I had to render to WAV
before overdubbing in Cool Edit or Audacity.

Maybe one of these days I'll switch to a distro whose sound support is
all there (currently I'm using Mandriva 2007 Spring, and every few
weeks ALSA will decide it just doesn't want to give me any sound
anymore, not that it matters because several of the audio apps I
installed from Mandriva packages, and want to use, have crashed
before even letting me compose one note, including both LMMS and
Rosegarden) but right now, the idea of setting up a sequencer that
does its own MIDI rendering and lets me do overdubs all at once is
still too good to be true.

Anyway, I look forward to the results of David's tests.

Rob