Re: [LAU] Tests of Linux DAWs

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 25 2007 - 19:27:54 EEST

On 25 July 2007 at 12:04, Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Yeah, my workflow is the same as David's, but I've been using Timidity
> on the command line to render my MIDI files for subsequent
> overdubbing since 1997 (under Windows at the time), when I discovered
> it produced much cleaner results than recording analog from my Gravis
> sound card.

Yup, timidity is pretty cool. Does anyone know if the timidity sound
server can output to Jack so that I can run timidity in real time?

> Maybe one of these days I'll switch to a distro whose sound support is
> all there (currently I'm using Mandriva 2007 Spring, and every few
> weeks ALSA will decide it just doesn't want to give me any sound
> anymore, not that it matters because several of the audio apps I
> installed from Mandriva packages, and want to use, have crashed
> before even letting me compose one note, including both LMMS and
> Rosegarden)

Yikes. I'm running Mandriva 2007.0 (Spring is 2007.1 I think).
I don't have the same issues that you're having. The thing I
have to be careful of is that when I first login KDE has started
artsd, which I don't have any use for. I configured Rosegarden
start-up to kill artsd. At one time I tried to get Rosegarden to
restart artsd when it exited. But, that just caused Rosegarden
to crash and artsd didn't start. I routinely use Ardour 2.0.3,
Rosegarden 1.5.1, Audacity 1.3.0 and Amarok 1.4.3 without any
issues. My Jack is version 0.102.5 and ALSA is 1.0.12. These
run with kernels of the basic 2.6.17 version. The contributed
multimedia kernels work best for low latency audio work. But,
that's not needed for things like Amarok. I have 3 soundcards:
a Hoontech based on the ENS1371 chip, an M-Audio Delta 1010
based on the ICE1712 chip, and an onboard sound "card" based on
VIA8237. I hope that helps you somehow.

Cheers....

--
Kevin