Re: [LAU] [OT] OLPC2OLPOTH 100$pc also for over-the-hills plz

From: Victor Roetman <victory747@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 30 2007 - 10:31:15 EEST

<> wrote:
> On Sat Jul 28, 2007 at 07:24:06PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> You are aware that the OLPC-Laptop is meant to be a kind of charity
>> project for developing countries, aren't you? (I won't debate, if
>> it is successful with that goal.) That is, it's meant for poor
>> children, not for poor geeks.
>>
>> You may try *bay for cheap old laptops, that are of comparable
>> speed.
>
> the ASUS EEE is supposd to retail for 199 USD or so. there was a 200
> euro laptop on slashdot the other day. so is the lowest DELL with a
> discount or two - theyre saying the OLPC will cost this much anyways
> - theres no way they can really beat quanta/compal/asus at their own
> game, price-wise.. although perhaps they have an edge in software
> innovation (the EEE runs a trimmed down Linux)

The most important points of the OLPC are not just the price, but
durability, the lack of moving parts (fan, hard-drive) for reliability,
a screen that can work with or without backlight, and very low power
consumption. People living in modernized countries and cities do not
usually understand this as power is readily available. The typical
target audience for the OLPC are children living in villages
with no power at all. One option for power is a hand-crank with, I
think, a 10:1 ratio of battery time to cranking time.

If you just want a cheap laptop then you definitely don't want an OLPC.
But if you are in a remote area and have no access to power, then the
OLPC is a great platform to consider.