Re: [LAU] [OT] OLPC2OLPOTH 100$pc also for over-the-hills plz

From: <> <_@email-addr-hidden-your.name>
Date: Sat Jul 28 2007 - 16:31:55 EEST

On Sat Jul 28, 2007 at 07:24:06PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Ken Restivo hat gesagt: // Ken Restivo wrote:
>
> > I don't need the sourcecode, I want to know where I can get a new
> > laptop with enough cohones to run JACK, for $100, that's what I want
> > to know.
>
> You are aware that the OLPC-Laptop is meant to be a kind of charity
> project for developing countries, aren't you? (I won't debate, if it
> is successful with that goal.) That is, it's meant for poor children,
> not for poor geeks.
>
> You may try *bay for cheap old laptops, that are of comparable speed.

the ASUS EEE is supposd to retail for 199 USD or so. there was a 200 euro laptop on slashdot the other day. so is the lowest DELL with a discount or two - theyre saying the OLPC will cost this much anyways - theres no way they can really beat quanta/compal/asus at their own game, price-wise.. although perhaps they have an edge in software innovation (the EEE runs a trimmed down Linux)