[LAU] Ati driver installation for low latency kernel (Kubuntu)

From: Matthias Schönborn <mbs1303@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 31 2007 - 12:07:27 EEST

Hi list!

This is my first post and I hope it's not too off-topic.. I've already posted
it in the Kubuntu forums but got no reply, so I hope that someone here can
help me.

My problem is as follows: On my notebook I have installed Kubuntu, and for my
everyday work I use a generic kernel, because the low latency kernel would
drain too much power, so that the battery would be empty very soon. For
recording I use a low latency kernel.

Now the problem is, that in the Ati driver installation, the kernel is
modified. If I install the driver while using the generic kernel, it works
well with the generic kernel. If I then boot the low latency kernel and
install the driver, it only works with the low latency kernel, but not
anymore with the generic kernel. Now I would be fine without 3D acceleration
while I'm using the low latency kernel, but the annoying thing is that
sometimes the system freezes if the driver doesn't work properly.

Can anyone help me solve the issue, or does someone know a workaround? I would
be most gratefull!

Thanks,
Matthias