Re: [LAU] Reverb status?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 02 2007 - 17:48:08 EEST

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 03:56:57PM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:

> Do you really want to use a different reverb on each track? At least if you
> are recording music from real instruments I find it very disturbing when each
> instrument has its own virtual room. Putting them all in one or two rooms
> with different fractions sounds (to my ears) much nicer.

Absolutely agree. I still remember the horrible opera recordings from
DG in the early days of the CD, which had different reverbs on the
voices and the orchestra.

I've never used more than two reverbs on any on the multitrack productions
I've worked on. The only exception would be music for TV drama or film,
where you can use a collection of reverbs for dramatic effect even on
single instruments, never mind if it sounds natural or not.

Production techniques for fully 'synthetic' music may be different,
but for anything trying to produce a natural sound, you normally drive
a reverb from post-fader auxiliary sends. This way you can share a
single reverb for many tracks, and adjust each of them separately to
create depth in the sound picture. Ideally you should combine this
with adjustable delays (in function of source distance) on each
send. It's for this reason that Aella (in it's advanced mode) will
offer multiple inputs, each having their own early reflections but
sharing one reverb tail.

It's one of my gripes with Ardour that it makes this way of working
(standard on traditional consoles) rather difficult as each send
comes in a separate window. The simple solution would be what can
be done on almost all digital consoles: switch the faders to control
auxiliare sends, or use a second set of smaller faders for this.

--
FA
Follie! Follie! Delirio vano è questo !