Re: [LAU] Goodbye ReplyTo munging...

From: Matthias Schönborn <mbs1303@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 14 2007 - 16:06:34 EEST

On Tuesday 14 August 2007 12:26:41 Arnold Krille wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 14. August 2007 schrieb Matthias Schönborn:
> > Anyway, I don't understand why some people make such a fuzz about it. Is
> > it so hard to get used to the new settings, even if it's the standard
> > setting among mailinglists?
>
> Its not hard for pros like you and me. But its hard for beginners starting
> with the whole linux and audio and email-lists -things. And they don't get
> the replyToList-thing. Never (I know that all generalizations are false). On
all the beginners-lists I am/was
> subscribed to... Why should we make it hard for them (and us having to
> reply/forward their answers to the list)?
> I know that all the sane emailers will do it right (kmail can recognize
> when a folder contains a mailinglist and the normal replyTo will then do
> the right thing) but if we really want to be open to new folks exploring
> the free software world in all its beauty we should really lower the stakes
> and introduce them to proper-rfc-compliant-lists only when reaching higher
> levels (like *-dev).

Thanks for the compliment, but I don't consider myself as a pro, especially
because this is the first email list I ever subscribed to and I subscribed
just six weeks ago. So I could hardly be more of a Newbie to lists - and
repeating myself, I found it confusing that hitting the replybutton would
reply to the whole list! Though I must admit that I found the
reply-to-list-button just a few days ago, and additionally, that I use KMail
and let it do the "work" (and thus had surely made a mistake). But it's
mostly by mistakes that you learn (though for me it's that I learned about it
because of the discussions ;-) ).

> And my comment yesterday was the first I did about the whole discussion and
> was triggered by one outlook-user who can really read multipart-emails
> (outlooks fault) and two "private" answers that belonged to the list.
>
> I don't really care if replyToMunging gets reactivated for this list or
> not. If not I will probably stop getting "private" answers back on the
> list. The advantage: The archives will be incomplete and may miss the
> solutions to the problems. And beginners will wonder why only one guy
> answers to the second mail, even more so if he doesn't come to a
> conclusion. And others will use google and find their problem in our lists
> archive but not the solution (I hate it when that happens to me!),

I surely agree with that one, happened to me too!

> because
> all the solving went off-list. Yes, I could always try to get the
> discussions back on the list, but I am lazy and I want to talk/discuss
> things, not deal with technical stuff that should just work. Maybe that
> qualifies me foe getting a mac, I don't know, if they weren't so pricey I
> would get one...

Though you surely don't have to forward every private message to the list, I
think it's not too hard to write a quick note of the solution when there's
finally one.

Regards,
Matthias