RE: [LAU] Progressive Quantisation

From: Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 22 2007 - 01:23:51 EEST

Hm, my reply to munging got damaged there!

Kurzweil developed a box to do this, I think as a project after selling his company to Young Chang. It was just such a PLL that would sync to the drummer so that the massively overproduced garange bands could play their music live, something that was impossible without miming the whole act. Basically the drummer would lead the tempo (some are notoriously bad at following a set tempo anyway), from that the software would derive a MIDI time code and away it went to drive the sequencers.

Not sure if it caught on or even worked. Firstly garage bands became more popular than overproduced, resampled and sync'ed music, but it never worked very well with extended endings as the sequencers would become confused - they understood if the drummer wanted to change the speed for mood, or for lack of drumming abilities, however if they wanted to play an extra chorus it kind of fell apart.

Have not heard of any open source examples, but, as Fons says, it is possible and would be an interesting project.

If it was not Kurzweil I am certain somebody can give a pointer in the right direction.

Nick.> Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 00:04:08 +0200> From: fons@email-addr-hidden> To: linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden> Subject: Re: [LAU] Progressive Quantisation> > On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 10:01:16PM +0100, Folderol wrote:> > > What I would like to see is quantisation algorythm the detects trends> > rather than absolute values, then progressively applies small> > corrections to keep overall timing correct. (it would of course have to> > operate over all tracks simultaneously).> > A PLL (phase locked loop) or DLL (delay locked loop) will do exactly that:> follow the general trend and ignore local variations. Neither of them is> difficult to program, but you'll need a good grasp of the theory to make> them work,> > There are mixed open/closed loop algorithms to do this as well. They can> work even better sometimes, but there's very little 'open' information> available on those.> > -- > FA> > Follie! Follie! Delirio vano è questo !> > > _______________________________________________> Linux-audio-user mailing list> Linux-audio-user@email-addr-hiddens.linuxaudio.org> http://lists.linuxaudio.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/linux-audio-user