Re: [LAU] nforce (intel8x0) midi

From: Clemens Ladisch <cladisch@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 22 2007 - 09:48:49 EEST

Simon Williams wrote:
> I've just found that I have a game port midi adapter, so while I wait
> for my USB-midi device to arrive I thought I'd give it a try. However, I
> cannot for the life of me find any information on how I go about
> enabling midi on my nforce mobo.

Enable the MIDI port (MPU-401) in the BIOS setup, then load the
snd-mpu401 module. If your BIOS doesn't publish ACPI PnP resources for
this device, the driver won't automatically detect the device, and you
have to disable pnp and use the port and irq module options, something
like this: "pnp=0 port=0x330 irq=10".

> A post on the alsa mailing list said that adding the option
> mpu_port=330x0 to the snd-intel8x0 module worked, but that wasn't
> specifically for an nforce, and my version of snd-intel8x0 doesn't
> actually have any mpu options!

This option was removed three years ago because it didn't work; the
gameport/MIDI functionality is implemented by a different chip on the
mainboard.

HTH
Clemens