Re: [LAU] getting started with qjackctl and Linux Sampler...

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 30 2007 - 19:13:23 EEST

On Thu, August 30, 2007 15:50, Preston Callison wrote:
> I have used midi on Windows with Gigastudio and understand how to get
> it working. I would like to use my .gig files on Linux because I am afraid
> of another crash due to Gigastudio and I cannot afford to due another
> Windows install and then reinstall all of my software.
>

> The questions that I have is how to get qjackctl to get the midi
> signal from my TMK-88 midi controller and route them to Linux Sampler. A
> couple of questions are:
>
> -How can you tell if qjackctl is receiving a midi signal from your
> keyboard? -Is there anyway to tell if qjackctl is sending an output
> signal? -How do I setup qjackctl and run it out to Linux Sampler? I have a
> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Ex Platinum sound card.
>

> I don't understand how to use qjackctl or Linux Sampler? Thanks.

in case you've missed (on the qjackctl homepage) there's this article by
Dave Phillips on Linux Journal,

- At the Sounding Edge: Using QSynth and QJackCtl
  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8354

although it deals with qsynth instead of qsampler, it might give you some
ideas. alas, you may find qjackctl use all over Dave's outstanding
blogging :)

about your particular midi controller, how do you connect it to your
computer? usb? midi over the game port? anyway, if things are working
properly, the ports should show up at the midi (alsa) connections window
on qjackctl.

re. qsampler, it is the basic front-end to linuxsampler, and should start
it as default.

once up and running, first thing to do is add/create a sampler channel.

there you select one instrument file (.gig) and which input and output
devices should serve midi and audio respectively. Choose "ALSA" for MIDI
device type and "JACK" for audio type, provided you've got jackd started
with qjackctl.

from that moment you can make the proper connections,
   midi controller -> linuxsampler
   linuxsampler -> alsa_pcm or system

HTH

--