Re: [LAU] I need a single-play player

From: Bob van der Poel <bob@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 11 2007 - 21:26:26 EEST

Jeff Sandys wrote:
> If you want a midi player the Yamaha QY-70 and it's replacement the QY-100
> are about as big as a VHS cassette. The QY-100 uses smart media for extra
> storage. The advantage of midi is the ability to change tempo or key on the
> fly. And some audience members who are expecting a live performance are put
> off with a cd or mp3 player but will buy into the QY-70 that you are
> occasionally fingering. The QY-70 is designed as a backing instrument with
> lots of patterns and great sounding voices. They go for about 200-300$
> used.

Odd, isn't it, what the audience will accept and frown upon :) I was
thinking that with the vast amounts of karaoke around they'd be ready to
accept just about anything ... opps, I'm being catty again.

Looked on the web and the QY-70/100 certain look like neat units. I'm
not sure I want to spend quite that much for the occasional gig, but
I'll keep my eyes open. Honestly, I had no idea such things even
existed. Must be a small market. OTOH, it might be just as cheap to use
a low-end laptop as a player. At least that way I can get the text up to
a size I can read :)

Best,

EMAIL: bob@email-addr-hidden
WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca