Re: [LAU] changing sound cards

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 16 2007 - 14:39:54 EEST

Howard Sanner wrote:

> I'm running Mandrake 8.1 and using an Ensoniq ES1370 sound card. I
> know Mandrake 8.1 is ancient history, but the system is working and
> (mostly) doing what I need to do. So why rock the boat?
>
> I'd like to change to an M-Audio Audiophile 192 sound card. Will I
> have to install a new version of Alsa, or a new kernel, or will they
> just detect the new card and it'll start to work automagically?

Most recent distros will probe your hardware at boot time and configure
accordingly (at the device's defaults). If your version of ALSA supports
the card, you should be able to simply install it and let the system do
the rest.

If that happy case doesn't happen, use (as root) alsaconf to install the
card, it's pretty easy. If you have problems at that stage, ask here
again. :)

I've recently done fresh installs and updates with 64 Studio and JAD,
the hardware detection was thorough and correct. Linux
installation/configuration has come a *long* way since 1995.

Best,

dp (on a laptop running RH9)