Re: [LAU] changing sound cards

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 17 2007 - 11:19:00 EEST

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Howard Sanner wrote:
>
>> I'm running Mandrake 8.1 and using an Ensoniq ES1370 sound card. I
>> know Mandrake 8.1 is ancient history, but the system is working and
>> (mostly) doing what I need to do. So why rock the boat?
>>
>> I'd like to change to an M-Audio Audiophile 192 sound card. Will I
>> have to install a new version of Alsa, or a new kernel, or will they
>> just detect the new card and it'll start to work automagically?
>
> Most recent distros will probe your hardware at boot time and configure
> accordingly (at the device's defaults). If your version of ALSA supports
> the card, you should be able to simply install it and let the system do
> the rest.
>
> If that happy case doesn't happen, use (as root) alsaconf to install the
> card, it's pretty easy. If you have problems at that stage, ask here
> again. :)
>
> I've recently done fresh installs and updates with 64 Studio and JAD,
> the hardware detection was thorough and correct. Linux
> installation/configuration has come a *long* way since 1995.

Thanks for the advice. My server running Debian Etch release detects the
sound card but only reports errors about it in the log ... I've not
really put any time into it, I just stuck the card in the box one day
while I had the box open for other reasons. Will have to look into it
sometime.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden