Re: [LAU] M-Audio Audiophile Line Level Inputs

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 17 2007 - 10:56:03 EEST

Hi,

Am Montag, 17. September 2007 schrieb Loki Davison:
> On 9/17/07, Bearcat M. Sandor <HomeTheater@email-addr-hidden-soul.com> wrote:
> > Because doing D/A on an internal soundcard is noisy. I can hear the hum
> > of my
> > fans coming through my tweeters. Having the D/A outside of the box is
> > quiet.

Yeah, that fan-noise-myth some more! Unless your card has a microphone
on-board (which I seriously doubt) it isn't picking up the fans noises but
electrical interference. Please see the archives, this is a well discussed
phenomenon.

> > I do know how to use ebay, but i don't have much money at the moment.
> > $100 is
> > about my limit to spend on this. Firewire? Last time i looked almost all
> > of it was proprietary and not useable on linux. I would love to use
> > firewire, but you can't run firewire D/As on Linux (RME, MOTU are out for
> > sure).
> if your keen on firewire check out
> http://www.ffado.org/

Here freebob does a good job with a presonus firepod. Good job = running
stable for more than six hours with 5ms delay without xrun in a live job...

But USB isn't that bad either. Except for the conceptional errors in USB in
generel (that is way sometimes usb-devices even disks disappear and appear
again, which is bad for audio (my hardware-dealer told me about this, I
wouldn't believe it but now I am happy to have a firewire-card)).

Have a nice week,

Arnold

--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/