[LAU] Help with fluidsynth and midi from drum pads

From: Bengt Gördén <bengan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 17 2007 - 23:40:22 EEST

Hi,

I just got a toy (at least it's been called that before) Millenium MD70 for my
kid. Anyway its just about right for my 5 year old kid. It had midi out so I
thought that I try it together with Hydrogen and Fluidsynth. One thing I
first noticed was that Fluidsynth just responded about half of the hits made
at the pads. Hydrogen responds ok but the velocity is low compared to what I
get when I just play the sound in Hydrogen. I was puzzled to why Fluidsynth
couldn't respond more than every second hit so I took amidi and dumped the
output. It turns out that the MD70 sends a "Program Change" every time I hit
a pad. In hex it is C9 00. Do anyone out there know why this happens? Or is
it normal to send a program change at every hit? I can't get Fluidsynth to
ignore the program change. Do anyone know if theres a way to do that? There
might be a midi filter somewhere (suggestions welcome) but I thought that it
would be nice to do it directly in Fluidsynth.

Here is an example of amidi -d when I hit one pad
C9 00
99 23 7F
99 23 00

As i interpret it (GM that is), it's:
Program change to 0
Note on for Acoustic Bass Drum with velocity 127
Note on for Acoustic Bass Drum with velocity 0

/bengan