Re: [LAU] Realtime, but many xruns when jack is started. Debian Etch

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 30 2007 - 17:37:35 EEST

On Sunday 30 September 2007 16:11, Lars Luthman wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 16:09 +0200, Lars Luthman wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 16:02 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > > On Debian Etch, using kernel 2.6.18-5-686, which I presume is a
> > > realtime one, as when I start jack with qjackctl, and with the realtime
> > > box checked, jack doesn't complain.
> >
> > You presume incorrectly. There are no realtime kernels in the main
> > Debian repositories, and a patched kernel would have the version suffix
> > -rtX. I don't know when jackd was changed to refuse to start with -R
> > unless it could actually get realtime scheduling, but it was fairly
> > recent - if you're using 0.101.1 it will probably start anyway.

I'd got so used to jack complaining when trying to use realtime, when it
wasn't available, that I presumed it was still the same, and the kernel was
realtime. I should have got used to the rt suffix by now, having used the
patched kernels from planetccrma for so long.

> Sorry for confusing things - you can of course get realtime scheduling
> without having an RT-patched kernel. It's hard to get jackd to run
> xrun-free without it though.

So what your saying, is that the realtime-lsm package of scripts may not be
too successful.

Do you know if there are any debian rt patched kernels available for other
debian based distros, that might work on Etch, or Lenny?

> --ll

Thanks for the reply.

Nigel.